Skip to main content
- Cough medicine is mainly used as a cough suppressant.
- Some cough medicines contain addictive opiates, such as codeine.
- They slow down or depress the actions of the brain.
- As it is cheap and easy to buy, cough medicine may be abused by people
seeking for a feeling of euphoria.
- Usually in syrup form.
- Street Name：“Robo”, “DXM” etc.
Adverse Effects of Cough Medicine Use
- Memory loss
- Heart problems
- Reduced breathing rate
- Cold sweats
- Brain damage
- Intoxication and drug induced mental disorders
- Many abusers underestimate the addictiveness of cough medicine and gradually
increasing the dosages, thus increasing the risks.
- Some cough medicines contain Part I poisons such as codeine and
dextromethorphan, which are controlled under the Pharmacy and Poisons
- It is an offence to illegally possess a Part I poison.